Thursday, March 4, 2010

" O Canada a door mat we shall be......." Since we are contemplating changing the lyrics to our national anthem, as a proud Canadian I thought that I should contribute. I use the words "proud Canadian" very loosely because if the lyrics to the National anthem are changed I will not be a proud Canadian because we will all be proud Americans. Rolling over to make a few people in our country feel better about themselves will be the "flare" signalling our lose of balls and the Americans will invade, absorbing us into their empire. Don't worry, the invasion will go smoothly because I have no doubt our conservative government will ask "is there anything we can do to make your conquering of us easier?"

In case any of you reading this are not aware there is a proposal to have the lyrics "in all thy sons command" changed to "thou dost in us command". This action is being lead by a group who feel that these lyrics exclude them. Are you serious? You exclude yourself. The reality of the situation is that you are attaching meaning to lyrics in a song. I am fully aware that I am speaking about our national anthem a song we stand and sing with pride, a song we use to identify ourselves as a country.

I am well aware that our anthem found it's roots in a poem and that the original words where "thou dost in us command". However it is no longer 1880 (first time it was performed originally, in french). As it tragically stands the majority of our youth can't sing the anthem in it's entirety so how the fuck can we expect them to learn the words especially if they can't relate to them?
That and the majority of them believe our national symbol is a Molson beer bottle.

Some of you may be thinking that my point of view is sexist. Let me assure you of a few things. I whole heatedly am against racism, sexism, and abuse. I believe we all have the right to freedom of choice and speech. We should all be privileged enough to breath clean air, drink fresh water and eat food not manipulated with pesticides and hormones and that we should all be provided with education and health care no matter income level or social standing. That being said I feel that this motion to change the lyrics is a total horse shit. Where does it stop. We as "polite" Canadians are no longer allowed to say "merry Christmas" because other religious groups feel excluded. Why don't we just take the Easter bunny out back and Elmer fudd put a bullet in his head, then we can elect him as prime minister because I am sure he is far more capable.

I am all for progression but at what cost. Should we totally cast to the weigh side all of our tradition? Let be point this out, if I went to India and asked for a cheese burger they would say politely "no fucking way". As a country lets continue to stand for freedom and tolerance. Lets us welcome with open arms the cultures of the world and lets provide the safest, cleanest environment to live in. But lets do it with some dignity.

If your feelings are hurt and you feel excluded go to counselling or by a dog. Seriously if you have this much time on your hands why don't you chose a cause that really needs attention, I don't know maybe women's rights in India? But it is far easier I suppose to petition for changing lyrics to the national anthem in a country that allows you the freedom of stupidity then to get on a plane and go to India and have to get dirty fighting for a cause truly worth this amount of attention. Grow up!

Peace and love

No comments:

Post a Comment